Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Epiphany.


Yesterday, I sat down to write a model paragraph for my writing intervention students. I couldn't think of anything to write but then I remembered that Friday night, I had kind of an epiphany. It wasn't life-affirming or groundbreaking, and it was probably knowledge that already existed somewhere deep in the recesses of my cave-like mind. But I digress.

Me and the kids were driving home from Shabbat services. It was cold and dark, but as I approached the light at Main Street, Town Hall rose up in front of me, with a Christmas tree ablaze in colored lights on the front lawn. All up and down Main Street, the trees were wrapped in white fairy lights, throwing light onto an otherwise dark Main Street. Storefront windows were trimmed in lights, adding to the festive air.

Having been raised Jewish, our house was never decorated in holiday lights. I enjoyed the neighbors' spectacle instead. And I always wondered, why does everyone love the holiday lights so much? Why is it so important to the season? They're nice to look at, sure and they make everything feel festive but where did the tradition come from?

Sitting there at the stop light, looking at the lights of Main Streets, it suddenly dawned on me. Of course! Holiday lights bring warmth and life to a season that is dark and cold. We hunker down, we hibernate, we gather around the hearth (so to speak). What an uplifting sight to go out and see your town lit up in a festive spirit. Now it all makes sense, and like I said, it probably always made sense but I never really thought about the emotional significance of holiday lights. I love coming home in the dark and being welcomed by my little white bungalow, surrounded by a vast country darkness,  trimmed in white lights.

{See more Slices here: http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/write-share-give-its-sol-time-14/}

4 comments:

  1. There is something magical about the lights this time of year. I have some old memories of the holiday season that are set in the dark, but have a halo-like light around them. A light in the dark is very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lights, too. There is something so comforting and festive about the parade of twinkling lights everywhere - it makes us forget that winter can be dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you light the way with your post. Our neighbor, also Jewish, always lit their path to their house with luminaries. Candles and light have so much significance in many of the religions of the world. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lights do make driving home from work in the dark so much easier! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete